Post Summary: You’ll find our top pick for the best refrigerator for small kitchen spaces according to customer reviews, pros, cons, and more.
While I shared the cabin kitchen reveal the other week, I still have a few things to do before it’s 100% done. One of which is to purchase a new fridge, which you’d think is easy but I had to do a ton of research. I need to find the perfect refrigerator for our small kitchen, and I thought this information might be helpful.
You may remember our old fridge (which was great) just a bit bigger than we wanted. We wanted either a more thin design or a retro style. Anyway here’s what we came up with, and I hope it helps you find the best refrigerator for small kitchen spaces like ours.
Keep reading to find out the best refrigerator for small kitchen spaces.
Small Kitchen Refrigerators
Let’s talk refrigerators. I know, I know, not the most riveting design and renovation topic, but an important one, especially for those who are considering a downsize in their living areas or those who are focused on an eco-friendlier lifestyle. Refrigerators come in all shapes and sizes, but not all are created equal. If you are in the market for a new refrigerator for a smaller kitchen space, cabin, or dorm room, we’re going to provide our top picks so you can feel confident with your next purchase.
Best Overall Small Refridgerator
NUTRIFROST Side-by-Side Refrigerators with Ice Dispensers
Best Refrigerator for Small Spaces
Check out our top-reviewed apartment-sized refrigerators for small spaces.
- Best Overall Small Refrigerator – Frigidaire EFR751, 2-Door Refrigerator
- Best Narrow Refridgerator – Galanz GLR12BS2K16 Bottom Mount Freezer Refrigerator
- Best Bottom Freezer Refridgerator – Galanz GLR16FWED08 3 French Door Refrigerator with Bottom Freezer
- Best Retro Refrigerator – Frigidaire EFR756 Apartment Sized Retro Refrigerator
- Best French Door Refrigerator – NUTRIFROST Side-by-Side Refrigerators with Ice Maker
- Best Top Freezer Refridgerator – SAMSUNG 11.3 Cu Ft 24″ Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
Small kitchens require appliances that fit into tight spaces without compromising on functionality, like the refrigerator. With so many options in the market, how do you choose the best refrigerator for your compact kitchen? We’ve got you covered. In this comprehensive guide, we review the top five small refrigerators, taking into account their pros, cons, and key functions.
The Frigidaire EFR751 is a Platinum Series, which means it’s a thoughtfully designed 2-door refrigerator with an elegant stainless steel finish. Its capacity of 7.5 cu ft makes it a perfect choice for apartments and small spaces.
The fridge has crisper drawers to ensure freshness and organized storage. Notably, its energy star rating means optimal cooling with minimal power consumption. While its capacity may not cater to larger households, instead is great for individuals or smaller families prioritizing design and efficiency in limited spaces, the EFR751 proves to be a great option.
- 2-Door Design: Separate sections for fresh foods and frozen items.
- 7.5 cu ft Capacity: Ideal size for apartments or smaller kitchens.
- Platinum Series, Stainless Steel Finish: Sleek design that adds a touch of class to any setting.
- Adjustable Glass Shelving: Flexibility to arrange your fridge space based on your needs.
- Energy Efficient: Designed to minimize power usage while maintaining optimal performance.
- Price Point: You can buy this fridge for under $400 from Amazon
- Compact Size: Perfect for apartments, studios, or small households.
- Stylish Design: The stainless steel finish gives a modern, upscale look.
- Separate Freezer: Allows for better organization and storage of frozen goods.
- Efficiency: Consumes less energy, leading to potential savings on electricity bills.
- Easy to Clean: The stainless steel finish and glass shelves are easy to wipe down and maintain.
- Limited Space: Might not be suitable for larger families with limited storage capacity.
- No Advanced Features: Lacks some of the high-tech features found in larger, more expensive models (like a water dispenser, or an ice maker).
- Potential Noise: Some users might find it a tad noisier than preferred, especially in quiet settings.
We think the Frigidaire EFR751, 2 Door Apartment Size Refrigerator, is tailor-made for small spaces, with its compact design without leaving out the essentials like storage capacity.
Its sleek design also makes sure it fits snugly into tight kitchen layouts, while the dual-door configuration efficiently segregates fresh and frozen items, maximizing utility. With its combination of space-saving design and functional features, it’s a perfect choice for apartments, studios, or cabins with limited kitchen space.
The Galanz GLR16FWED08 stands out as a modern and versatile refrigerator option suitable for households looking for efficiency combined with style.
With the French door models and a host of features, this refrigerator is both a functional and aesthetic addition to any kitchen.
- 3 French Door Design: Triple doors for the main compartments offer convenient access and reduce cold air loss.
- Bottom Freezer Drawer: Positioned for easy access and efficient storage of frozen goods.
- Adjustable Thermostat: Allows users to set and maintain the ideal temperature for their stored items.
- 16 cu ft Capacity: Offers ample food storage space while remaining compact enough for smaller kitchens.
- Elegant White Finish: Adds a touch of sophistication to any kitchen decor.
- Space Efficiency: The 3 French door design ensures less cold air escapes, maintaining energy efficiency.
- Generous Storage: With 16 cubic feet, there’s ample room for groceries, making it suitable for families.
- Modern Aesthetics: The sleek white finish and contemporary design make it a stylish addition to any kitchen.
- User-Friendly Controls: The adjustable thermostat is easy to use, ensuring optimal temperature settings.
- Durable Construction: Galanz is known for its robust and long-lasting appliances.
- Potential Space Requirement: While the refrigerator itself is designed for efficiency, users need to ensure they have adequate space to fully open the three doors.
- No Advanced Tech Features: Unlike some modern refrigerators, it lacks features like smart home integration or touch-screen controls.
- Manual Defrost: The freezer might require occasional manual defrosting.
The Galanz GLR16FWED08 is a reliable and stylish choice for those in the market for a new refrigerator. Its unique 3 French door design, combined with the brand’s reputation for quality, makes it a good choice for apartment kitchens.
While it may lack some smart features found in pricier models, its functionality and design more than compensate. This refrigerator is a testament to Galanz’s commitment to blending efficiency with modern aesthetics.
The Galanz GLR12BS2K16 is an example of the brand’s continuous strive for innovation and user convenience. As a bottom-mount freezer refrigerator, it offers a combination of design efficiency and storage flexibility. Its stainless steel finish not only gives it a polished look but also ensures durability.
- Bottom Freezer Compartment: Provides easy access to frequently used items at eye level while storing frozen items below.
- Three Doors Design: Allows for better organization and reduces the loss of cold air.
- 12.3 Cu.Ft Capacity: Adequate space to cater to the needs of small to medium-sized families.
- Stainless Steel Finish: Offers a sleek, modern aesthetic and is easy to clean.
- Adjustable Interior Shelving: Tailor the refrigerator’s space according to your storage needs.
- Efficient Design: The bottom mount freezer means less bending down, making it ergonomic and user-friendly.
- Space Optimization: With 12.3 cubic feet, the fridge provides ample storage without occupying a large footprint.
- Elegant Aesthetics: The stainless steel finish complements a variety of kitchen styles.
- Energy Efficient: Designed to maintain an internal temperature without excessive energy consumption.
- Durable Build: Known for its robust construction, Galanz ensures longevity in its appliances.
- Lacks Advanced Features: It doesn’t come with smart technology integrations or touch-screen controls that some contemporary refrigerators offer.
- Manual Adjustments: Some users might prefer electronic temperature controls over manual ones.
- Freezer Space: The bottom mount design might not be everyone’s preference, especially those who access the freezer frequently.
Galanz Bottom-freezer Refrigerators are a solid choice for households looking to balance compact design, functionality, and aesthetics. Its unique three-door setup and bottom freezer layout provide a convenient storage solution.
While it may not boast high-tech features, its core functionalities and the brand’s commitment to quality make it a valuable addition to any kitchen. If you’re in the market for a reliable and stylish refrigerator, this Galanz model should be on your radar.
The Frigidaire EFR756-BLACK is a perfect blend of vintage aesthetics and modern functionality. A nod to the classic era, this refrigerator is designed for anyone who is drawn to retro styles but doesn’t want to compromise on contemporary features.
- Retro Design: A stylish throwback look with chrome handles that add a unique touch to any kitchen setting.
- 2 Door Configuration: Distinct compartments for the refrigerator and top freezer.
- 7.5 Cu.Ft Capacity: Offers substantial storage while being apt for apartment living or smaller kitchens.
- Black Finish: Adds a sleek and sophisticated look to the appliance.
- Adjustable Interior Shelving: Easily customize the internal space as per your storage requirements.
- Aesthetic Appeal: The retro design with chrome handles makes it a standout piece, ideal for those looking to add a vintage touch to their kitchens.
- Space Efficient: With 7.5 cubic feet of storage, it’s suitable for smaller living spaces.
- Durable Construction: Known for its robust build, Frigidaire ensures a lasting lifespan for its appliances.
- Easy to use: The design is straightforward, making it user-friendly without an overwhelming number of advanced settings.
- Lacks Some Modern Features: Being a retro design, it might not have some of the high-tech features found in smart refrigerators.
- Limited Freezer Space: Given its compact size, the freezer might be a bit tight for those who store a lot of frozen goods.
- No Ice or Water Dispenser: A common feature in many modern refrigerators, but missing in this model.
For those who cherish a blend of nostalgia and functionality, the Frigidaire EFR756-BLACK is a charming choice. While it captures the essence of bygone days with its retro design, it doesn’t skimp on the essential features needed in today’s world.
It’s ideal for individuals or small families living in apartments or homes with limited kitchen space. If aesthetics and functionality are what you’re seeking, this Frigidaire model might just be the perfect fit for your kitchen.
The NUTRIFROST side-by-side refrigerator stands out as a versatile and efficient appliance, designed meticulously to cater to the needs of modern households, especially those with spatial constraints.
- Side-by-Side Design: Offers easy access to both the refrigerator and freezer simultaneously.
- 18.1 Cubic Feet Capacity: Spacious enough to store a plethora of items while being compact enough for smaller spaces.
- No Frost Technology: Ensures consistent temperatures, preventing icy build-ups.
- Built-in Ice Makers: Provides a steady supply of ice without the need for manual trays.
- 2 Door Full Size: Offers comprehensive storage solutions while fitting snugly in smaller spaces.
- Space Efficiency: With an 18.1 cubic feet capacity, it provides a generous storage solution for its footprint.
- Consistent Cooling: The No Frost technology ensures even cooling, preventing food spoilage and maintaining freshness.
- Convenience of Ice Makers: The built-in ice makers are a boon for those who frequently entertain or simply enjoy chilled beverages.
- Modern Aesthetics: The sleek design complements contemporary kitchen decor, adding a touch of elegance.
- Energy Efficient: Designed to offer optimal cooling while being mindful of energy consumption.
- Limited Shelving Adjustability: Some users might find the shelving options a bit restrictive, especially for taller items.
- Noise Level: Might be slightly noisier compared to some other models in its category.
- Exterior Finish: Prone to fingerprints and smudges, requiring frequent cleaning.
The NUTRIFROST side-by-side refrigerator is a commendable choice for those seeking a balance between size and functionality. Its range of features, from the No Frost technology to the built-in ice makers, showcases the brand’s attention to user convenience.
While it has minor shortcomings, its benefits far outweigh the cons, making it a valuable addition to any small space kitchen. If you’re on the lookout for a reliable and aesthetically pleasing refrigerator that doesn’t compromise on features, the NUTRIFROST model should be high on your consideration list.
What style of refrigerator has the most space?
The French door refrigerator style typically offers the most space among common refrigerator designs. Combining the benefits of side-by-side and bottom-freezer configurations, French door models feature two doors on the top section for refrigerated items and a pull-out drawer below for frozen goods.
This design maximizes storage capacity and allows for wider items, like pizza boxes or platters, to be stored with ease. Furthermore, many French door refrigerators come with additional drawers or compartments, further enhancing their spaciousness.
Where do you put a refrigerator in a small kitchen?
In a small kitchen, it’s optimal to place the refrigerator near the entrance or away from the main cooking area to avoid traffic congestion and maintain a functional workflow. Ideally, position it adjacent to the countertop, allowing for a seamless transition when unloading groceries or prepping ingredients.
Utilizing corners, if the layout permits, can also be efficient. Ensure there’s enough clearance for door swings and ventilation, and avoid placing it next to heat sources like ovens or stoves to maintain energy efficiency.
What is the best size refrigerator for small spaces?
The best size refrigerator for a small kitchen largely depends on the specific dimensions and layout of the kitchen, as well as the household’s storage needs.
However, in general terms, for small kitchens, it’s advisable to consider the following refrigerator sizes:
- Counter-Depth Refrigerators: These are designed to align with the edge of your countertops, making the kitchen appear more spacious. They typically have a depth of 24 to 27 inches.
- Top-Freezer Refrigerators: A classic choice, these models often have a width ranging from 28 to 33 inches and are considered more compact than other styles.
- Bottom-Freezer Refrigerators: These can be a good fit for small kitchens as they place the more frequently accessed refrigerator section at eye level. They usually have a width similar to top-freezer models.
- Under-Counter or Compact Refrigerators: If you’re extremely limited on space, an under-counter fridge, often around 24 inches wide, can be a viable option. These are especially common in studio apartments or office settings.
- Slim or Narrow Refrigerators: Some brands offer narrower versions of standard refrigerators, typically with widths around 24 inches, which are designed specifically for tight spaces.
When choosing a refrigerator for a small kitchen:
- Measure Carefully: Ensure you measure the width, depth, and height of the space where the refrigerator will go. Don’t forget to account for how much the door will swing and the ventilation space.
- Consider Storage Needs: A smaller household might manage with a compact refrigerator, while a larger family might prioritize a standard size with a more efficient layout.
- Think Vertically: If width is a constraint, consider taller models that utilize vertical space.
- Opt for Features that Enhance Space: Look for adjustable shelving, door storage, and other features that help maximize storage in a smaller unit.
So, the best size will vary based on individual needs and kitchen layout, but the options are mentioned above and are typically well-suited for smaller spaces.
Choosing the best refrigerator for smaller kitchen spaces requires a keen understanding of both your kitchen design and your storage needs.
Whether you need a mini fridge for tight quarters or a more spacious top-freezer refrigerator, there’s something for every compact kitchen. Remember to consider the key functions, weigh the pros and cons, and make an informed decision.
After all, a refrigerator is a long-term investment for your home.